flyspeed looks great but any chance of adding these interface features?
Flyspeed looks terrific and I would definitely buy it if it had some of these user interface features (some of which I've seen in Sqleo and/or IBM Data Studio):
1. In the query structure tree pane, when we click on a subquery item within the FROM of the main query, please show that subquery's diagram and highlight the subquery structure down below -- don't make us go down below and find the subquery structure itself just to show it on the canvas.
2. Better yet, show the subquery substructure right there within the tree of the main query, not just as separate named items after the main query as if it were a reusable common table expression.
3. Let us edit text of a subquery by clicking (or right-clicking) on it in the structure pane or in the diagram canvas or within the sql text itself, not just using the separate sub-query edit mode dropdown.
4. In the structure tree pane allow us to right-click and add/change things to the structure right there, not just in the diagram canvas.
5. Also in the structure tree, include nodes for the rest of the sql clauses such as WHERE, GROUP BY, HAVING, and ORDER BY, so it's a full representation of the query and not just the high-level "FROM" (and FIELD) structure.
6. When saving the query as a .sql file, include the tables' positions in the diagram as comments in the sql (like Sqleo does) so it can be read back in and the diagram structure isn't lost. This would allow full round-trip into other sql tools.
7. Preserve comments in the sql text (like IBM Data Studio does).
8. Don't raise the price (much) when adding those features :-)
To be clear, I'm *not* saying that Sqleo (open source) or Data Studio are better than FlySpeed -- on the contrary they have their own limitations. For starters, Sqleo's development is frozen in an incomplete state (it doesn't even support UNION ALL and some other important sql features). IBM Data Studio is free but db2-only, hasn't been updated very recently, etc.
FlySpeed seems quite complete and mature (and reasonably-priced), but I feel that it could be much more intuitive to use if it had some of the features mentioned above.
Best of luck!
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
We have just added the suggestions 1-3 to our to-do list, as they seem to be useful and relatively easy to implement.
The fourth suggestion is not clear: "In the structure tree pane allow us to right-click and add/change things to the structure right there, not just in the diagram canvas." -- What exactly you want to be able to do there?
6. We are saving the query with the layout but in a different format.
7. Preservation of comments is present in our to-do list since the very beginning. Hopefully, we'll be able to do this till the end of this year.